Sandblasting is also known as abrasive blasting is a most effective method to give the shape, strip or to smooth out a foreign material surface. It is an operation in which the abrasive material is used under high pressure. This is used for various purposes. It is used to remove the surface contaminants, smooth a rough surface, roughen a smooth surface, or shape it up. Here sand is sprayed onto the surface of required region with intense pressure.
What Is the Purpose of Using Sandblasting?
Sandblasting is extremely popular and is used for a number of reasons. It thoroughly cleans the surface for painting. Spraying sand with a pressure and a higher velocity removes the grime and stubborn dirt and other fine particles. It is ideal for brick, concrete, stucco, and other such surfaces.
Significance of Sandblasting
Earlier, sandblasting was used to grind and sharpen the tools. Some of the substrates include metal, concrete, wood, brick, and glass, are substrates used in the process. It removes any sort of dirt, paint, or any other substance. Eve, it tends to refresh the look of brick and concrete. It can smooth the rough surfaces like you can do sandblasting of windows, brick walls, roofing, and old sidewalks.
Techniques Used in Sandblasting
Mainly two sandblasting techniques are used i.e. wet and dry sandblasting. Where wet sandblasting is used for exteriors, dry sandblasting is used for interiors and special projects. On the other hand, wet sandblasting is useful in the process to remove paint, debris, and stucco from that of the substrate.
Different Types of Sandblasting Techniques Are:
1. Silica Sand: The most common way to remove the impurities from the surface is using the silica (Silicon Dioxide) which is also known as quartz or the ordinary sand. Besides, this is now least used method, as much better methods have come into play.
2. Soda Sandblasting: In the process of blasting bicarbonate soda or baking soda is used as an abrasive to remove the rust from that of the metals causing damage. The soda is a great grit but can be a destroyed by tough abrasives.
3. Steel Grit: For the paint removal, steel grit is mostly used and also the rust from that of the steel metals. The fast cutting nature of steel grit makes it use worthy. In addition to that, it also gives the smooth finish.
4. Glass Bead: In order to get a satin finish or a matte finish, in the process of sandblasting, glass bead is used. This type of grit comprises fine particles that polish the surface of the object. This process of sandblasting is often used on the cabinets.
5. Bristle Blasting: This is a unique method of sandblasting. In this no such metal is used. Rather steel wire bristles are rotated on the surface. This action of rotation is helpful in removing the impurities. Thus, it makes the surface smooth. This method is highly useful in cleaning the metal surfaces affected by the corrosion.
In order to achieve the desired result, it is important to have the exact type of grit. Therefore, it is imperative to determine the method and technique which is to be used in order to get the best results. Some delicate things and surface cleaning need special attention and care while doing sandblasting.
You can consider choosing the type depending upon your needs. You may contact the right contractor to get the right sandblasting technique. You need to get in touch with the right contractor by seeking referrals from your friends, colleagues, or family. Besides, you can reach out to our site to search the reliable and trustworthy contractor.