Depending upon the shape, configuration, and size, pianos are classified into two different types, first is vertical pianos and another one is horizontal pianos.
The Classy Vertical Pianos
The height of these types of pianos varies from 36 to 60 inches.The height and the position of strings made them call a vertical piano. Vertical pianos are of four different kinds.
- Spinet- Spinets are the portable pianos. These types of pianos do not require much space because they are smaller than other pianos. The height of these pianos ranges from 36 to 38 inches and has a width of 58 inches.
- Console- These pianos are a little bit bigger than a spinet, as their height and width are 40-43 and 58 inches respectively. These pianos come in different varieties. Quality of tone in the console is better than a spinet.
- Studio- These pianos have height of 45 to 48 inches and width of 58 inches. These types of pianos are generally used in the music studios and music schools. These pianos are long lasting and of good quality.
- Upright- These pianos have the height of 59 to 60 inches and width of 68 inches. These pianos are tallest of all the vertical pianos. These pianos are used in the time of your ancestors.
The Luxurious Horizontal Pianos
These pianos are of larger size and are supported by three legs. These pianos are popularly known as grand pianos. These pianos provide excellent sound.
- Petite Grand- These pianos are of around 4 feet 5 inches to 4 feet 10 inches. These are the smallest of all grand pianos. In spite of being small, these pianos are of great power.
- Baby Grand- These pianos are very famous because they have good sound quality and they are not so expensive. The size range of these pianos starts from 4 feet 11 inches to 5 feet 6 inches.
- Medium Grand- They are slightly larger than baby grand. Their approximate size is 5 feet 7 inches.
- Parlor Grand- There size range is around 5 feet 9 inches to 6 feet 1 inch. These pianos are also known by the name of living room grand piano.
- Semiconcert or Ballroom- There size ranges from 6 feet 2 inches to 7 feet.
- Concert Grand- These pianos are largest of all the grand pianos. Their size is around 9 feet.
Other Variant Features of Pianos
Pianos can also differ in their number of keys and pedals. Some Pianos have 88 keys whereas some pianos are of 85 keys. American pianos consist of three pedals which are una corde, sostenuto, and damper, whereas European pianos have only 2 pedals. The pianos which are smaller than grand pianos also have 2 pedals.
Dave’s Piano Showroom a leading piano seller in Tampa, Florida with a great collection, deals and offers on pianos, says that you should never buy a piano in a hurry. You should always look for the authentic sellers only to get the best quality and warranty for you.