Selling a home can take more time than the seller might like. You’ve made your decision, and all you want is to be at the end of the process with a fantastic sell. One of the first steps for a speedy settlement is to hire a real estate agent. As you research your best options, here are some quick tips to make your land for sale ready before your agent even steps through the door.
Depersonalize Your Home
Depersonalizing should be the first step when preparing the houses for sale. Removing the plaques, awards, and family pictures can be painful, but you need to create an environment that will allow the buyers to imagine the house as a potential home. Personal items will make them feel more like trespassers than members of the household.
While you are depersonalizing, you will need to look out for rooms that are too cluttered. When you locate a cluttered room, you should remove some of the items. The problem with clutter is that it creates the illusion that rooms are smaller than they are. If you remove the items now when the buyer walks into the room, he will be amazed at all the space available.
Staging The House
As you weed out items, remember that you do not want to remove too many things from the houses for sale. An empty house is just as hard to sell as a cluttered house. As long as the furniture isn’t moldy, covered in dog hair, or torn to shreds, the presence of furniture will create an environment that the buyer can imagine his or her family living in.
If your house has old furniture or no furniture, you can:
- Borrow some beautiful furniture from friends or family.
- Use this as a time to invest in some new or used furniture for your next house.
- If your family or friends do not have furniture to spare, and you do not have the money to invest in new furniture, you should consult your real estate agent for more suggestions.
Cleaning The House
Remember those cleaning binges you would go on whenever someone was invited over? Your houses for sale should go beyond that level of clean before the home hits the market. If there’s a guest that you need to impress, it’s the potential buyer.
Before the cleaning binge is done, you’ll want to:
- Sweep and mop tile and wood floors.
- Vacuum and steam-clean carpets to remove dirt and stains.
- Dust cobwebs from the ceiling if present.
- Clean bathroom and be sure to focus on cleaning discolored grout between bathroom tiles.
- Clean under and around permanent furniture.
- Don’t forget to clean the windows and wash down the siding of the house.
Cleaning The Yard
Now is not the time to falter on yard work. The appeal of your yard is vitally essential to the success of a sell. You want the buyer to love the house from the first glimpse itself. You want them to imagine playing tag with their kids or playing fetch with the dog. This process should take anywhere from four to twelve hours, depending on the size of the yard and how in-depth you go.
Areas to focus on include:
- Maintaining the grass: Mow and weed. You might want to buy a weed killer.
- Pruning the bushes and trees: Remove and replace dead or wilting bushes.
- Replace missing woodchips or stones in the front of the house.
You might be advised to renovate portions of the home. Eventually, you will have a real estate agent to tell you all this, but why wait that long? If you begin now, you will have less to do later, which will lead to a faster sale of the houses for sale.