Some of us lack green fingers but have an eye for beauty. You can use this quality to create a focal point for your garden. Use planters to create a beautiful space in your home. You can use low maintenance annuals to beautify any open space in your home. You can create a beautiful world using concrete planter boxes for your plants.
Why use concrete planter boxes?
The use of concrete planter boxes in small yards or areas that lack sufficient sunlight are a great idea. This is because:
- They are easy to move around.
- They can transform any area into a garden area.
- In your garden too they improve water efficiency.
- They give you easier control over the condition of the soil and your seedlings.
Concrete planter boxes are a great choice and very practical too particularly for large plants. Large plants require ballast support against wind, and the weight of these boxes help to do that. However, the same weight may make it a little difficult to move around. It is best to decide where you want to place so that you don’t need to move it. The advantage of these heavy concrete planter boxes is that they won’t be easily stolen or moved.
Pros and Cons:
Though concrete can be safely used as decorative planters around your home, like everything else, it has its pros and cons. A little bit of care can and alertness make them the best choice. Read on to find out why.
- Insulation: Concrete protects the roots of a plant even during strong temperature changes as it is reliable as an insulator.
- Size: Concrete planters come in large sizes and are strong. Thus they are suitable for the root systems as they provide enough space for them to grow. Large roots will not break the pot while herbs, flowering plants and other small plants with smaller root systems benefit from greater moisture conservation due to less root crowding.
- Durability: While wood or plastic containers not only gradually become brittle but also rot over time concrete planter boxes can last for years. Even if you are living in a damp climate, they will not be ruined by prolonged rain or humidity.
- Weight: Their weight prevents them from being blown over by the wind or getting knocked down by the kids or pets.
However, you also need to keep in mind the following–
- It can increase the alkalinity of your soil as the lime used in making the concrete planter boxes can leach into the ground when you water the plants.
- Can break if dropped or in freezing temperature.
The negatives are less than the positives of using concrete planter boxes to build up your garden. All you have to do is use the right kind of planter. You can leave your planter out in the rain for the lime to get washed away before you plant your saplings.
If your planters are going to be placed outdoors even when the temperature is freezing then buy ones with tapered walls which are at least one and a half inches thick. This will prevent cracking. If the concrete planters are thin-walled then make use of sealed lengths of garden hose which will reduce the pressure exerted on the walls of your concrete planter and prevent cracking.
Now that you know all the advantages and disadvantages of using concrete planters, you must have realized that with a little bit of intelligent manipulation, you can easily avoid the disadvantages. So if you are thinking of making your home look beautiful by planting flowering plants, herbs, bonsai then you can safely go for concrete planter boxes.