Moving house locally can be a stressful period, especially if you aren’t prepared. It can be easy to forget things or leave things behind, making the moving process much more difficult than it needs to be. With this useful checklist of moving tips and tricks, your next local move will run much more smoothly.
6-8 weeks before moving
Once you have made the decision to move it is time to start planning everything out. Most people have a lot of belongings and it might not be practical to take all of them with you. If you are moving to a smaller house you might need to put some items into storage, or you may choose to throw out or sell belongings that you no longer use.
- Sort through all your belongings to work out which items you no longer need
- Book a skip bin or a hard rubbish collection
- Get an accurate quote from a removalists
- Decide if you want to pack your own belongings or let removalists handle it
- Plan the cost of your move from start to finish
1-2 weeks before moving
As moving day starts to get closer you’ll need to get everything organised for the big day. This is the time to start packing up belongings that are rarely used and dismantling any furniture that you won’t need until after you’ve moved. If you don’t want to do all the packing yourself, you can get removalists to do it for you.
- Make sure you organise to have your mail redirected to your new address
- Ensure all gas cylinders are empty and get an authorised gas cylinder test station certify them
- Notify your utility providers that you are moving and get them to reconnect them to your new home on moving day
- If you are transporting any white goods or appliances, check with the manufacturers to see if they need any special attention
1 day before moving
One day before moving you need to finalise everything for the big day. Make sure all your belongings are packed and ready to go if you are packing them yourself, or ensure everything is easy to access for the removalists. If you own pets, make sure you’ve prepared to transport them on moving day as well.
- Remove any rubbish or waste from the premises
- Defrost your fridges and freezers so they are ready to be transported
- Ensure you keep all valuables on you
- Pack snacks for the day and keep plenty of water handy
When moving day arrives it is best to get started as soon as possible. Moving can often take longer than you would expect, so allow for plenty of time. Get a good night’s sleep so you are rested and ready to go the next morning. Before you lock up your old home, make sure you haven’t forgotten anything or left anything behind.
- Show the removalists around your home and show them what they need to collect
- Arrange for your house to be cleaned once you have left
- Turn off all taps and electrical switches
- Lock up the house and check that all doors, windows, and garage doors are secure
- Do a thorough sweep of the house to make sure you haven’t left anything behind