Ideally, the cost of car repair will be considerable given the fact that it comes with several costly parts and complicated features that are mechanical as well as electrical. Therefore, you will need to choose the best car mechanic for keeping the cost reasonable and simultaneously get the best service too. You must never be impulsive and make these choices as it will do more harm than good to your car and your pocket.
If you research well before you choose a mechanic, then you will not regret it later. Check for the qualification, skills, and the quality of service provided. You must always ask for a written estimate from multiple car mechanics so that you can compare and hire accordingly.
Follow the Guidelines
It is always better to look for a professional auto repair technician when your car does not need any repairs. This way you will get ample of time for your search. Apart from that there are a few other guidelines to follow.
- Visit the repair shop of the mechanic. There is no compulsory rule that a car repair shop has to be filthy and dirty. This does not hold good for all shops though there may be thin layer of dirt and grime in almost all garages. Ideally, a garage must be organized which is what you must first check during your visit to the shop.
- Check the certification and licensing of the mechanic and also visit the customer service area to see the certificate. Read the reviews on the website and choose the shop with most positive reviews.
- Look beyond the price of car repair service as expensive service does not always mean the best service. Instead, you must compare the price with other car repair shops to make the best choice as per your budget.
- Check for the reputation of mechanic in your area and choose the one who has been in service for many years.
- Check the tools and equipment used for service and select the company that uses high quality tools. They must also use OEM certified spare parts for replacements and provide a limited warranty for the part replaced.
There are a few other confirmations that you would require to make when you visit the car repair shop.
- Make sure that the technicians are ASE or Automotive Service Excellence-certified, which is a mark of trustworthy professionals.
- Manufacturer’s certification is another way to confirm as that ensures that the technician is specialized for your type of car repair.
- Confirm affiliations if any as all reputable businesses will be a part of the Better Business Bureau and also be registered with the AAA network.
- Confirm whether they have warranties to protect your car so that you are saved from wasting time and money.
Few Other Steps to Follow
You must ask enough relevant questions to car repair shop to clarify all your doubts. As a consumer you have the legal right to ask about the credentials, customer service and referrals. You must understand and check their experience, number of years in service, area of specialization, pricing and warranty policies. You are also entitled to get estimates in proper breakups and that too multiple in number and writing. This will prevent unnecessary surprises and back out.
There will be a lot of mechanical terms used by the mechanic to tell you about the issues of the car and you may be unfamiliar with these terms. It is the duty of the mechanic to explain them in simple terms making it easier for you to understand. This way you will know the exact problem and the diagnosis.