Most of the times, when you are not fully aware of the functioning and the concept of a car gearbox, there are chances that you pay a really high amount in availing services of gearbox repairs. Therefore, knowing the concept and a little awareness on the functioning of the gearbox system will help you save the extra pennies that you spend without reason.
Do you know what a gearbox is and how does it function?
A gearbox is responsible for controlling the speed of your car. It transmits power from the engines to the wheels of your cars. The primary purpose of a gearbox is to allow smooth changing of gear for the times when acceleration is required or when you need to drive uphill or downhill or in paths that are not curvy and not so smooth. Always remember, while you drive, the gearbox functions only when you push the clutch in the car (manual cars). Gearbox functions without the driver in an automatic car. The gearbox allows you to drive smooth and noiseless and at your desired speed with more fuel efficiency.
Preventive steps to avoid frequent repairs of the gearbox
Gearbox repairs might be a little costly, and frequent need for repairing the gearbox can be unhealthy for the life of your car. You can, therefore, take a few preventive steps to avoid the repairs much frequently.
- Understand that there is a problem in the gearbox. Whether you have an automatic or a manual car, remember that if you get the slightest problem while shifting or changing gears, then know that your gearbox is creating trouble. While you shift or change your gear there should not be any bar or delay, but if so happens then better understand you have a problem and do not drive more with the problem.
- Gearboxes are responsible for making your car move smoothly and without much noise. But if you find that there is a loud noise or may be unfamiliar noises coming from beneath the car as you shift gears, then this is an important indication that you must get your repairs done.
- One of the best precautionary measures that you can take in order to avoid repairs is that get it checked regularly if possible. Most of the times it is seen that the maximum gearbox problems have occurred because of the contamination of the lubricant used in the gearbox. Irregular or improper cleaning is a primary reason for gearbox problems.
- Checking the gearbox filters and getting them replaced if necessarily is very important. This will help you to avoid huge cost in the long run in gearbox repairs. Ensure that you use a good quality fluid lubricant for the smoothest functioning of the gearbox. A weekly maintenance is always preferable.
- Change the fluid lubricant at least two times a year and make sure that you attend a gearbox problem immediately.
Tips to choose the right shop for the repair of your gearbox
Gearbox repairs are very crucial. Therefore, ensure that you are in the right shop before giving them the responsibility of your gearbox repair.
- Go with the recommendations made by your friends and relatives. This is the safest option. One of the best things that you can do is to go to the shop you have chosen and ask them relevant questions regarding repairs and satisfy yourself before you face a trouble and have to rush to any shop without satisfying your questions.
- Warranty on repairs is an essential part. Compare the warranty policies online before choosing one.
- Check the license of the shop and make sure about the reputation of the shop regarding honouring of the warranty they provide.